1. I finally finished season two of “The Crown” and I’m so depressed it’s already over! Being Royal Family obsessed, I can’t get enough of this incredible show, especially Princess Margaret who stole the show!
2. Speaking of the Royal Family, a few weeks ago Meghan Markle carried one of my favorite handbag brands, Strathberry, and now they’re sold out almost everywhere! I always receive so many compliments when I carry one of my bags from them (I have this one and this one) so no surprise they’re sold out now!
3. I’m starting to brainstorm my trips for 2018 Jenn’s trip to Palm Springs and Allie’s trip to Austria are giving me major wanderlust!
4. Catt Sadler, a host on E! for almost twelve years and one of my favorites on the network, left the show this week. I loved her statement on why she did (because of a major pay gap) and it’s such an inspiration for women to fight for what they deserve.
5. It feels so good to be back home in Michigan with my family and I’m ready for lots of relaxing the next week. We made this delicious and easy toffee recipe last night and been watching all my favorite movies. I picked up some new cozy items to keep warm and relax in as it’s going to be a chilly time at home! Have an amazing holiday break everyone!
There is no time I love more than Christmas. We spend every Christmas at my grandma’s home in Royal Oak and there is no better time than those few days there with my family. As I head to Michigan today, I wanted to share some of my favorite traditions I’m looking forward to the next few days in Royal Oak and at home in Traverse City.
- Our ritual of all us cousins grabbing hot chocolate on Christmas Eve from Gayle’s in downtown Royal Oak after last minute shopping.
- My grandma’s traditional homemade Christmas Eve dinner. There is no favorite meal more than our Italian dinner of eggplant parmesan, homemade ravioli, spaghetti and meatballs and bruschetta.
- Exchanging our cousin gifts after Christmas Eve dinner. With us four girls, we pick a fun theme and alternate who we give to each year.
- My grandma makes over fifteen kinds of cookies each Christmas aka they never end during the holidays! Christmas morning is always cookies for breakfast with our coffee while we open gifts.
- Since Christmas Eve is the biggest night for us, our holiday tradition of heading to the movies on Christmas is another favorite ritual of ours.
- Once back home in Traverse City, I love that still after twenty years of being friends, all us girls get together. Whether drinks or dinner at Red Ginger, catching up with some of best friends I only see a few times a year is always one of my favorite nights.
What are your favorite holiday traditions?
I’m heading home tomorrow and so ready for over a week of relaxing and being with all my family and friends. One thing I still manage to stress about though before a long trip is packing. I’m a notorious over packer, but my last few trips (and streamlining my wardrobe) have made me realize what essentials are truly necessary to bring.
Today’s outfit may not necessarily seem like a classic piece to bring but these pink velvet pants have been one of my favorite versatile items this winter. I love it with a simple black turtleneck as seen here, but also with a backless bodysuit for a night out (like I wore here). A big cozy sweater and ankle boots also pair great with them for a dinner with friends one night.
Along with this outfit, I’m sharing my other essentials I’ve packed up for the week and hope it will help you streamline (and keep your luggage underweight!) while traveling too. Safe travels!
SHOP THE POST
SIMPLE COZY SWEATERS: A simple sweater can easily be dressed up or dressed down, whether with a fancy skirt for Christmas Eve dinner or with a pair of leggings or jeans while laying around the house. This cashmere one is such a steal and so soft and I also love this giant knit for an extra cozy look.
LEATHER LEGGINGS: Chic enough to be dressed up with heels or boots, or casual enough for running around town in, these are the ultimate versatile pants to pack. These are my recent favorites and are under $100 and so stretchy and comfortable.
SUEDE ANKLE BOOTS: A suede ankle boot is my go-to shoe in the winter. It’s the perfect in-between shoe of not being too dressy or too casual. I love this pair to wear with my leather leggings and these tan ones with my jeans and a cozy cream sweater.
STATEMENT EARRINGS: The easiest way to keep packing to a minimal when you may have a fancy occasion is statement earrings. The holidays are all about sparkles and glam, but packing enough fancy outfits is always not possible. Dressing up a simple outfit with a pair of fun earrings (these are my absolute favorite and just picked up these too) and a bright lip instantly takes your look from day to night.
Photos by Allie Provost
Location: New York Stock Exchange, Wall Street
It’s officially one week till Christmas! The last few gifts are being wrapped and my suitcase is almost packed to go home this week and I cannot wait! One thing I did realize though is that I still didn’t have my Christmas outfit picked out: enter Old Navy for the win!
I’m all about velvet this winter and this jumpsuit is pretty much like wearing your pajamas it’s so comfortable – doesn’t get better than that! I added a luxe and cozy faux fur leopard coat to stay warm in and then a sparkly heel to make the look extra festive. The best part of this outfit? Everything is under $75! Old Navy for me personally used to be just my go-to for jeans and tees but as you can tell, they have an outfit for every occasion. I also love this velvet dress, ruffled velvet tank and metallic pants for the holidays. I’ve shared a few other favorites below to wear into the New Year. Holiyay indeed!
SHOP THE POST AND MORE HOLIYAY FAVORITES
Photos by Allie Provost
Location: New York Stock Exchange, Wall Street
Thank you to Old Navy for sponsoring this post!
In my opinion, there’s nothing more festive than plaid during the holiday season. And with Christmas a little over a week away, I couldn’t help but round up a wardrobe and gift guide with all things plaid. From classic button down shirts to holiday ready home pieces, these are the perfect last minute buys to wear or give next week!
For the girl who sticks to classic black or navy, this Draper James Plaid Caroline Tote is the perfect pop of holiday plaid to add to any outfit!
Blanket scarves are always a favorite of mine to give to my girlfriends, and this classic tartan Old Navy Flannel Blanket Scarf is one of my absolute favorites.
If you’re heading to a holiday party this week (more hostess gift ideas here!), this Williams Sonoma Tartan Candle Gift Set is such a festive and fun gift to give. Plus, they’ll instantly fill the home with cozy, holiday scents.
Nothing screams holiday more than plaid shoes with a fur pom pom does it?! These Talbots Edison Plaid Faux-Fur Pom-Pom Flats just have to make their way on my feet for Christmas Eve dinner.
I’m so happy this J. Crew Plaid Perfect Shirt was brought back this season because it is one of my most worn items during the holidays! Super lightweight to layer with and I love dressing it up with a fur vest or down with boyfriend jeans.
SHOES AND ACCESSORIES
Just in time for Christmas (11 days and counting, eek!), the temperatures have dropped and it officially feels like winter! Whether you walk to work or drive through the snow, making sure you have the warmest winter gear is a top priority. From extra warm winter coats (I alternate between this (like seen above while in Finland!) and this one all winter long!) to cozy hats and gloves, I’ve rounded up all the must haves to help survive the chilly months ahead!
EXTRA WARM COATS
GLOVES AND MITTENS
SCARVES TO BUNDLE UP WITH
WATERPROOF AND WARM BOOTS
EASY LAYERING STAPLES
Ever since I attended the J. Crew presentation almost two years ago, I have been dreaming about this gorgeous hot pink faux fur coat. After not biting the bullet when it hit stores last winter because of the price tag, I was so excited when J. Crew Factory released this one with a much cheaper price! Unfortunately, it sold super fast, but there’s a ton of great lookalikes (like this or this almost identical one!) available right now. This coat is definitely a statement piece but I love how it pops against a monochromatic look or easy every day basics for a little touch of glam.
I had shot this look last week with Carter and then ended up wearing the coat for a more casual weekend look with tennis shoes and jeans. For being a bright and standout coat, I love how versatile it still is! So whether you decide to go full out or just add a touch with accessories, I’ve rounded up a range of colored faux fur pieces to bundle up in this winter!
BOLD AND BRIGHT
JUST A TOUCH OF FUR
SCARVES AND HATS
Photos by Carter Fish
Location: Wall Street, New York City
SHOP THE POST
1. To be honest, this week was a tough one (hello mercury in retrograde!). I was struggling with sleeping well until this life-saver arrived. If you’re not a morning person like me, I cannot recommend this Philips Wake-Up Alarm Clock more. It wakes you up gradually with light and soothing sounds, which is ideal for my extremely dark bedroom!
2. If you’re not already following Jenn of Style Charade, you need to be. Not only is her content so fun and happy, she is one of the sweetest and smartest people in the blogging world. Even though it’s so unfair what has been happening to her (and so many bloggers!), she wrote such a great piece on advice for when someone is copying you on Instagram.
3. I have been obsessed with Jenna Lyons for as long as I can remember and her Soho apartment is ultimate goals. Can we talk about that shoe closet?!
4. Mackenzie has been sharing her honeymoon all this week and it has me wanting to plan a trip ASAP! I especially cannot get over their stay at Giraffe Manor, absolutely incredible!
5. The temperatures really dropped this week so I’m stocking up on lots of cozy pieces! Anthropologie is luckily having a 30% winter clothing and accessories sale, so I’m adding this scarf to my closet. Other great sales? Loeffler Randall (to finally splurge on those sandals you’ve wanted all year!!), J. Crew (35% off!) and Madewell is up to 30% off too! Happy weekend and shopping!
As Reese Witherspoon once said, “If it’s not moving, monogram it!” Monogrammed gifts are always a thoughtful gift to give and with so many companies offering monogramming on almost everything, it’s always a special touch. Along with monograms, I also have included a few personalized favorites, from city pillows (perfect for the friend who just moved to a new city) to horoscope necklaces if you run out of time to monogram. Hurry and place those orders before it’s too late!
1. A roomy tote bag is always a must to have, whether for travel or everyday use. This Barrington Gifts St. Anne Tote is my go-to and would make such a great gift for anyone on your list (or yourself!) thanks to all the different patterns, colors and leathers you can choose from.
2. I always lose my keys in my bag so this adorable Mark & Graham Pom Pom Key Chain will be the perfect accessory to find them, and not get mixed up with my roommates!
3. A striped tee is an essential wardrobe piece in my opinion, so I love this monogrammed Parker Thatch navy and white striped shirt.
4. My mom used to sell these Cat Studio Hand Embroidered City Pillows in her store and I have always loved them for a personalized gift!
5. Can’t imagine a more perfect gift than an array of cheeses with this Marbled Monogram Cheese Board (under $40!) for a gift!
6. One of the it brands of the year, I love all the custom Pop & Suki bags in chic colors to give as a gift this year.
PURSES, TOTES AND MAKEUP BAGS
SWEATERS AND SHIRTS
FOR THE HOROSCOPE LOVER
There is nothing more magical than Christmas in New York. Every December, I pinch myself that I live here and I love having visitors here to share in all the fun! I shared a mini guide last year but today, I’m sharing what’s on my holiday bucket list this month. Hopefully these ideas will help get anyone visiting (or if you live here!) in the holiday spirit!
Rolf’s: A NYC Christmas must, I still have unfortunately not made it in this ornament adorned spot for drinks or dinner yet. While the reservations are pretty packed, I’m hoping to sneak in for a cocktail after work before I head home for Christmas.
Spend the day on the Upper East Side: Since moving downtown last year, I rarely spend time uptown anymore. During this time of year, I miss walking past all the decorations so I’m planning an afternoon of brunch uptown and stopping by all my favorite trees, hotels and stores to see their décor.
Have a drink at Bemelman’s Bar: This classic NYC bar inside The Carlyle Hotel, has been on my bucket list for years. The walls are adorned with illustrations from the classic Madeline series and it sounds like the ideal spot to cozy up at with a cocktail after seeing all the uptown Christmas decorations.
Grab a special holiday treat: So many of my favorite bakeries and coffee shops add festive holiday treats to their menus this time of year. To help get a little sugar boost during shopping, I want to make sure to try one, like Maman’s White Chocolate Candy Cane Pretzel Cookie, before the season is over.
Have a cozy dinner at Polo Bar: Ralph Lauren’s classic restaurant has been on my list since I moved to NYC and I can’t imagine a more perfect time to finally go then the holidays. I’m planning a reservation for later this month with friends to enjoy a dirty martini and burger on a chilly night.