When it comes to things I can never resist buying, it’s pajamas. While of course I have my favorite t-shirt and sweats to sleep in, I do love wearing a pair of matching pajamas to curl up into bed with. My latest favorite? This feminine and fun Sant and Abel x The Beverly Hills Hotel Set that features the iconic palm leaf print (and the Kardashians wore on last night’s episode). Today, I’ve rounded up more adorable and cozy pj sets to make bed time a little more stylish.
Archives for August 2016
When I first moved into my apartment almost two years ago, one of the number one items I had to make sure fit into our small space was a bar cart. With some Ikea DIY, my dream bar cart was finally a reality! And now every time I have a visitor, I’m so glad my bar cart is prepped and ready for a cocktail. Today, I’m sharing my essentials for what to keep stocked on your shelves and some favorite items to shop for yourself!
1. Bubbles: Champagne is my favorite thing to sip and celebrate with, so along with keeping bottles ready to drink, I also have been known to buy a bottle or two that are in fun colors or patterns to add a pop of design to the cart.
2. Liquor: Gin and tonic is always my go-to cocktail, but I make sure to keep a variety of different liquors on hand to make sure my guests always have their favorite drink when they’re at my place, such as a bottle of vodka and a darker liquor like rum.
3. Mixers: Not only is it convenient to keep a mix of different mixers on the cart, they also bring different dimensions and color to the cart. My number one to use is flavored San Pellegrino’s because it goes well with almost any liquor, and adds fizz and flavor to your drink. I also keep the essentials stocked like tonic water, ginger beer for moscow mules and any other fun flavored drinks that may work well for cocktail mixing.
4. Variety Of Glasses: I made sure to include a variety of glasses when filling my bar cart, to make sure no matter what the cocktail, I had the right glass ready! From tall and low glasses to copper moscow mule mugs to champagne flutes, I mixed the glasses on different shelves to add height and fill up the shelves.
5. Fun Accessories: The best part of my bar cart was stocking it with fun accessories to decorate and drink with! From a colorful ice bucket to striped straws, I wanted to have elements that not only complete a cocktail, but also add details and color to my small space. My favorite elements include my NYC matchbook collection that fills up a vintage tray on top and my bar cart artwork that hang above.
Yesterday, I gave a breakdown of my beauty routine on Glitter Guide’s Snapchat (make sure to watch and follow along @glitterguide), and today, I wanted to share my full everyday routine here as well! Working in the beauty industry has introduced me to a ton of amazing brands and products I had never used before, and hopefully today I can help you find out how amazing these products are as well!
1. SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic: Hands down, this product has completely changed my skin. After I wash my face with warm water, I apply a few drops to my skin. It provides your skin with 8 times the skin’s natural photoaging protection, making it a must for every morning. The cost is on the pricier side but you only need a few drops every day, and your skin will thank you later!
2. Laura Geller Spackle Treatment Even Tone Makeup Primer: This primer helps make my foundation last all day, which is so important in this humid NYC weather. I also love that it has a subtle shimmer to help give an extra glow to my skin.
3. Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Correcting Fluid: I don’t get a lot of sleep, and my dark under eye circles clearly show it. This pink concealer easily covers them up and blends easily when I apply my foundation over it.
4. Urban Decay ‘Naked Skin’ Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup: Clearly, I love the Naked Skin products from Urban Decay, and once you try them too, you’ll see why. This foundation is so lightweight, but still manages to give me enough coverage and easily blends into my skin to give a natural look.
5. Laura Geller ‘Bronze-n-Brighten’ Baked Color Correcting Bronzer: This bronzer gives a soft bronzed glow, thanks to it’s mix of color correcting bronzer and blush. I brush this on my cheekbones, tip of nose and then a light dusting all over to help blend.
6. Urban Decay Eyeshadows in Vanilla and Chase: One of the best beauty tricks I ever learned is to use a lighter shade in the corner of your eyes and a darker shade on the outside corners to help make you look extra awake. Urban Decay’s shadows are super pigmented and don’t smudge all day, so I know I can trust it to last until I head home at night.
7. Urban Decay Brow Beater: If I only had time to do one thing before I leave the house, it’s got to be my brows. I’ve tried a ton of different brow pencils and powders, but this one has become my go-to. With a brush and pencil on each end, I first brush my brows up, then fill in and then blend with the brush again to give a natural, full look.
8. FLOWER Zoom-In Ultimate Mascara: Who says you need to spend a ton of money on mascara for insane lashes? This mascara from Drew Barrymore’s cosmetics line is the best mascara I’ve ever used, and under $8! You can twist the top of the wand to switch from lengthening to curling to volumizing, making it super easy to add more drama to your lashes for a night out.
via Lovely Indeed
It’s been a crazy few weeks of traveling, work and soaking up the end of the summer. I’m not going to lie – I’m starting to feel run down and a little low on inspiration. So today, I’m sharing some of my favorite quotes for some extra Monday motivation and to help kick off a great week!
The unbearable heat the last few weeks has started to take a toll on me, but most of all, my closet. After rewearing to death all of my sundresses, I’m anxiously awaiting wearing my favorites for fall. After seeing J. Crew’s new collection this past February at Fashion Week, I was so excited to finally see the pieces in store, and of course – bring some home! Today, I’m sharing my top 5 picks and a few other favorites for you to grab before it’s gone!
1. Edie Top In Shirting Stripe: Every time I head into J. Crew I tell myself not to buy one more striped shirt, but when you add a ruffle to it? It’s coming home.
2. Rhodes Blazer In Italian Wool: A blazer is my go-to in colder months, and I can’t wait to layer this hot pink one over a striped shirt.
3. Pale pink suede and sparkles? Enough said.
4. Floral Cascade Earrings: I’ve been on the hunt for a pair of statement earrings and when I saw these in the store, I immediately snatched them up. The perfect pop of pink and sparkle to a simple outfit, and they’re super lightweight making them easy to go from day to night.
5. Perfect Shirt With Bee Embellishment: One of my favorite J. Crew purchases ever was a similar embellished chambray blouse like this so I couldn’t resist snatching up the updated version. Hurry before it sells out!
I grew up in one of the most beautiful places in the world, Traverse City, Michigan, and today I’m so excited to be sharing my ultimate travel guide to it here and on Glitter Guide! Thanks to its abundance of fresh water, it’s a favorite vacation spot for the summer. However, for those who grew up there, like myself, we know it’s filled with activities and must-visit spots all year round. Continue reading for a full list of my favorites in Northern Michigan!
WHAT TO DO
- Get on the water: Traverse City is surrounded by beautiful fresh water, including Lake Michigan and the bays. Rent a boat, try stand up paddle boarding or just lay on the beach to enjoy the true gem of Northern Michigan.
- Climb Sleeping Bear Dunes: This national lakeshore is composed of mouth-dropping views and giant sand dunes. It is one of the most beautiful and iconic areas of Northern Michigan.
- See a movie at the State Theatre: Academy Award-winning director Michael Moore helped renovate this shuttered historic downtown movie house in 2007. Today, it is the ideal spot to catch a new release or classic favorite. Along with the reopening of the theatre, the Traverse City Film Fest was born. At the end of every July, filmmakers from around the world come to Northern Michigan for a week of all things movies.
- Explore M-22: If you follow the Lake Michigan shoreline of the Leelanau Peninsula, you’ll journey on M-22. This scenic drive is composed of stunning lakeshore views. It also features adorable small towns like Suttons Bay and Leland, making it perfect for a day’s worth of adventures.
- Drive through the cherry orchards: Traverse City is known as the cherry capital of the world (the National Cherry Festival takes place every July!). Make sure to not only enjoy all the delicious cherry treats, but take a scenic drive through the beautiful orchards.
- Take a winery tour: Traverse City features more than a dozen local vineyards, all located along the Old Mission Peninsula. Enjoy an afternoon of relaxation and refreshing sips!
WHERE TO EAT AND DRINK
- Red Ginger: This Asian-infusion restaurant is perfect for date night.
- Chateau Chantal: If you’re unable to spend a whole afternoon touring the local vineyards, head to this winery for a glass (or two). It’s a favorite thanks to its amazing views and, of course, the wine!
- Amical: When in need of comfort food, visit this eclectic European restaurant. A local favorite is the unbelievable chicken pot pie!
- The Little Fleet: If you’re with a group of people who are all in the mood for something different, this is the place to be. This lot features a variety of food trucks and an amazing bar for a refreshing cocktail.
- Trattoria Stella: Located in The Village at Grand Traverse Commons, this Italian restaurant features the freshest local ingredients and incredible meals. It’s perfect for a romantic date night.
- Mary’s Kitchen Port: When you’re planning on spending the day at the beach, stop at this specialty market for lunch on the go. The Gobbler Sandwich is a local favorite.
- Spanglish: This cozy restaurant features some of the freshest and most mouth-watering Mexican food we’ve ever had! It’s also a favorite of chef Mario Batali when he spends his summers in Northern Michigan.
- BLK MRKT: Head to this chic coffee shop right across from West Bay Beach for a cup of coffee and a pastry to enjoy on your morning beach walk.
- Grand Traverse Pie Company: You can’t visit Traverse City without having a slice of cherry pie. With locations all around the state, the original Grand Traverse Pie Company is the place to go to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Georgina’s: Asian and Latin food combine at this downtown eatery that locals and tourists cannot get enough of.
- 7 Monks Taproom: For a night out, head to this local taproom for a variety of local beers on tap.
WHERE TO SHOP
- Cherry Hill Boutique: For unique women’s clothing and accessories you can’t find anywhere else, stop in this feminine boutique for a special treat to bring home with you! And say “hello” to the store’s owner, Annie Hill, my mom!
- Ella’s: Ella’s features a mix of some of my favorite brands, vintage finds and eclectic home pieces. You’re always guaranteed to find something you can’t resist buying!
- The Nest: I love heading to this colorful home store for the perfect hostess gift or to help decorate the beach house.
- Cherry Republic: If you want to bring the local flavors and favorite treats of Traverse City home with you, stop in the world’s largest exclusive retailer of cherry food creations. It features everything from cherry barbecue sauce to addictive chocolate-covered cherries.
- M22: Show your love for Northern Michigan wherever you go by bringing home a piece of clothing featuring the iconic M22 logo, which will connect you with anyone who loves it, too.
- Wood + Cloth: This lifestyle shop located in the Warehouse District is filled with stylish home goods, beauty products and clothes.
- Horizon Books: Since 1961, this bookstore, which is located in the heart of downtown, is the place to go to to stock up on the newest books.
(Graphics by Carrie Waller of Dream Green DIY)
Persifor Dress c/o, Sam Edelman Sandals, Ray-Ban Sunglasses, Michael Kors Watch
Today, I’m sharing my final look from our Martha’s Vineyard Girls’ Trip! My favorite print currently is palm print, and as soon as I received this dress from Persifor, I knew it would be on constant rotation this summer. Not only is the print and color a burst of fun, it’s super lightweight and comfortable, making it ideal for the hottest summer days. When exploring the colorful and charming Gingerbread Cottages in Oak Bluffs, it was obvious to see why they are a favorite to visit, and I couldn’t resist snapping a few photos on the color coordinated porch! Already dreaming of our next visit!
Photos by Mila Lowe
Location: Gingerbread Cottages in Oak Bluffs, Martha’s Vineyard
One of my favorite parts about living in NYC is getting to try new restaurants and find my go-to favorite places. But there’s truly nothing like a home-cooked meal, so today I’m sharing my 6 favorite cookbooks that bring your favorite NYC restaurant home!
1. Chelsea Market Makers: Chelsea Market is my go-to when visitors come to town because of the wide range of food and drink to try, so this cookbook is stocked with recipes for any meal or mood you may be in.
2. The Meatball Shop Cookbook: I can’t imagine anyone making meatballs as good as the chefs at my favorite restaurant around the city, but this cookbook will give you all the tricks and tools to attempt it!
3. The Essential New York Times Book Of Cocktails: Learning how to make the perfect cocktail is a skill I’m trying to learn, so there’s no better place to start than from this essential New York cocktail guide.
4. How To Eataly: Instead of waiting hours for a table, head to Eataly to pick up fresh, Italian ingredients and make your favorite pasta dish at home!
5. Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream: If you’re feeling ambitious, learn how to make the best ice cream in the city in your kitchen!
6. Milk Bar Life: My all-time favorite dessert spot, this sweet filled cookbook teaches you how to make those iconic Birthday Cake Truffles at home.
1. I’m currently writing this 36,000 feet up in the air on my way to Breckenridge, Colorado for a special wedding and couldn’t be more excited for this weekend! Can’t wait to share more from my trip next week here on the blog so stay tuned!
2. My friend Meghan announced some amazing news on her blog this week and I couldn’t be more excited for her! Make sure to head to Wit & Whimsy to read about her new chapter.
3. The Nordstrom sale ends this week and there’s still so many good things left! I just grabbed this leather and suede bag, another pair of my favorite skinny jeans and a new pair of rainboots. Can’t wait for cooler weather!
4. Rachel Parcell of Pink Peonies office tour this week on Glitter Guide has me itching to redecorate! So feminine and fun.
(Image via Pinterest)
I can’t believe August is here already and summer is coming to a close soon (end of summer scaries are kicking in!). This month, I’m inspired by my favorite color combo, yellow and pink, the happiest colors to close out summer with. I’ve rounded up some of my favorite pieces as well (like these pink sunnies and tuxedo dress I’m obsessed with) that bring this month’s mood board to life!
(Images via Pinterest)